Montée Quinsonnas (uphill street) leads to Morestel’s dungeon.
In the 11th century, a castle rose up from this rocky outcrop, but was destroyed in 1575 during the Wars of Religion; only the Tower itself has survived.
This tower bears witness to the town’s Middle Age past and now listed in France’s Inventory of Historical Monuments.
Dating back to 14th century, the Dungeon comprised a lower chamber for prisoners and an upper chamber lighted by windows with window seats, accessible from the wall-walk.
A roof covered the whole structure; this was replaced by the present belvedere.
The castle was protected by a semi-circular fortified enclosure, whose remains can still be seen in some places.
Restored in 1972-1973, the Tower currently receives painting and sculpture exhibitions managed by the Association des « Artistes Contemporains de la Cité des Peintres » (contemporary artists’ association).
At the top of the Tower, the belvedere and its viewing table offer a superb panorama of the surroundings.